I am planning a fundraiser for the 88 orphans at Mama Fatumas in Nairobi Kenya. Details will be posted once the location is confirmed.
This will be a bake sale event; and we will also be collecting clothes/shoes/books.
Email correspondence from the Manager of the orphanage below
Hey Ruhee Jaffer,
Sorry to have stayed for
some time without communicating to you. With us here we appreciate for the
donations and visit you made during your visit to our Institution with your
colleagues. The toothpaste, tooth brushes, towel, bathing soap and other items were of
helpful to the children and even the health talk. We appreciate so much and
wished you the best for more such talks and visits for the children which will
motivate them. We hope you are back nicely in America having given President
Obama another term to finish his two terms,
We request you to talk to your
friends, the church you go to and other well wishers and philanthropists to
donate and contribute for these less fortunate children. You saw by yourself
during the visit at our organization, Mama Fatuma Goodwill Children's Home. We
request you during the incoming christmas festival to talk to several friends
and see how they can support these children even other churches. We shall
appreciate for any support and donation.
Thanks very much for your
continuous support and contribution to our children, may the Almighty bless
However, following an incident
which happened on Sunday, 18th November 2012, an explosion next to our place,
the community was very rowdy and rioted alot making the area to be
very insecure. This made many people not to visit our home for assistance
of which donations have dwindled and even business was closed. The situation was
not good even on Monday the anti-riot police had to come in to curb the
situation. The problem started on Sunday after the explosion in a commuter small
bus which claimed the lives of almost 10 people and more than 30 people injured.
Within the week there was no learning within our area for the children due to
the uncontrolled situation. Some of the young people in the area took advantage
of the situation and looted and even some houses were damaged. Vehicles were not
passing and livelihood activities were not conducted.
However, with our children and
the home it was affected only that we are now not getting any support after the
incidence, therefore it is becoming challenging to offer services for the
children. Therefore, we are writing to our friends and well wishers to mobilize
resources and find out how these children could be support.
We shall appreciate for any
contribution for the welfare of these children. Please send this information to
many people so that we can be assisted.
The community has started
dialogues for peace building and discourage conflict. Peace caravans, meetings,
visits to affected areas and families including the young people who are
involved to discourage them from such acts and create peace.
Therefore, we are only informing
you on the current situation and you can also see what you can do for the
betterment of these children.
Looking forward to reading from
Mama Fatuma Goodwill Children's
The adverse effects of smoking and drinking permeate a broad spectrum of issues. In 2007, a study conducted by Moore et al
. illustrated the effects of both smoking and drinking on Oral Cancer and Oral Epithelial Dysplasia. Simply speaking, Oral Epithelial Dysplasia (OED) is the precursor form of Oral Cancer.
The conclusions of the study illustrate that smoking is a significant risk factor in the development of OED, and Oral Cancer. Furthermore, smoking has a more significant role prior to the formation of malignant (cancerous) cells. Secondly, alcohol consumption was strongly correlated with both Oral Cancer and OED throughout all stages. With increased levels of alcohol consumption, the significance factor also increased.
1. In 2002, 127,500 people died of oral cancer; 274,300 diagnoses of oral cancer were made. Since 2002, the number has significantly increased, and continues to be on the rise.Think twice
before picking up that drink, or lighting up your cigarette.
1. Smoking and Drinking in Relation to Oral Cancer and Oral Epithelial Dysplasia Douglas E. Morse, Walter J. Psoter, Deborah Cleveland, Donald Cohen, Mireseyed Mohit-Tabatabai, Diane L. Kosis and Ellen Eisenberg Cancer Causes & Control , Vol. 18, No. 9 (Nov., 2007), pp. 919-929
2. Google Images
For all of you out there with little ones, I know you must have just experienced the post-halloween sugar overload craze! .... OR if you have halloween candy left over I sure hope you didn't gobble it down in one sitting!
We have all heard time and time again about how sugar affects your teeth (and your kids). In light of halloween festivities, everything in moderation...BUT try and stay away from sticky, chewy candy that will nestle in the crevices of your teeth. To keep the cavity bugs away and at bay remember to brush & floss AM &PM!!!!!!
On another note, my heart goes out to all those that were hit by Nor'easter and Hurricane Sandy. I spent the weekend of November 3rd in New Jersey, and it is still a mess. The resiliency of the communities we drove by is outstanding. I know that there was a curfew in NJ on Halloween so the kids weren't able to go out past 7:00PM. I hope that the rebuilding efforts are successful and that all the families affected continue to stay strong, and positive.
I literally waited in a gas line for 3 hours; I am very fortunate and thankful that the DC metro area was not hit that hard.
If you would like to make a donation towards American Red Cross please visit their website
Did you know?!!
Stress is linked to:-
1) Bruxism (tooth grinding)
2) Periodontal disease
3) Temporomandibular disorders
4) Canker sores/ mouth sores
There are numerous published studies citing how stress adversely affects health. Peterson et al. (2001) conducted a study which concluded that stress is correlated with the spread, severity and pathogenesis of infectious diseases. In 2007, a study published in the Journal of Periodontology suggested that increased levels of the hormone cortisol advances, and perhaps proliferates periodontal disease.
Canker sores or cold sores are found to be caused by a latent Herpes Simplex Virus 1. The HSV is very prevalent in majority of Americans by the age of 15. In a study published in the Journal of Infectious Disease, fatigue and stress were commonly cited causes for the onset of a cold sore outbreak. A plethora of other studies collaborate the data suggesting that stress is unequivocally related to the onset of mouth ulcers and cold sores.
One of the main causes of bruxism: commonly known as teeth grinding or clenching, is stress, anxiety and tension. Often, bruxism takes place at night. In deciduous (primary) teeth, grinding does not seem to be as great of a problem as in permanent teeth. Chronic bruxism can wear down the enamel, cause headaches and worsen TMJ issues.
1. Stress and Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease Phillip K. Peterson, Chun C. Chao, Thomas Molitor, Michael Murtaugh, Franc Strgar and Burt M. Sharp Reviews of Infectious Diseases , Vol. 13, No. 4 (Jul. - Aug., 1991), pp. 710-720
2. The Journal of Periodontology
3. Mayo Clinic
4. The Natural History of Recurrent Facial-Oral Infection with Herpes Simplex Virus Colette Bader, Clyde S. Crumpacker, Lowell E. Schnipper, Bernard Ransil, Joan E. Clark, Kenneth Arndt and Irwin M. Freedberg The Journal of Infectious Diseases , Vol. 138, No. 6 (Dec., 1978), pp. 897-905
5.ABC Of Oral Health: Mouth Ulcers And Other Causes Of Orofacial Soreness And Pain Crispian Scully and Rosemary Shotts BMJ: British Medical Journal , Vol. 321, No. 7254 (Jul. 15, 2000), pp. 162-165
If you would like to get involved with the American Red Cross
as a volunteer Contact me
for more information. I will be attending some events in the DC metropolitan area and would be really excited if you can all give a couple hours in service!
Did You Know?
* Tooth whitening is the most common
cosmetic procedure performed by dentists in the United States
* 10 Million Americans will spend 1.7 BILLION dollars on tooth whitening service and products in one year!!!
I often get asked "How do I get a whiter smile?"
We live in a culture where every celebrity, politician (Joe Biden included haha!), and neighbor is sporting a new look: PEARLY WHITES. It is quite hard to escape the inundation of teeth whitening products whether it is marketed via e-mail, social networking sites, advertisements, and even booths offering whitening services at your local mall.
Personally, I haven't yet had the pleasure of bleaching my teeth, but I do understand the great pressure to have a nice white BRIGHT smile. Bleaching can be very costly, and often has side effects (discomfort and hypersensitivity). The main ingredient in stain-fighting tooth whitening agents is either Carbamide Peroxide or Hydrogen Peroxide.
Here are some all natural tips to keep your teeth nice and white!!!
1. Stay away from red or yellow colored foods that can cause staining. Examples are: Spaghetti sauce, red wine, curries, coffee. If you do eat these foods, keep a toothbrush handy, and just brush away once you are done so that the stains don't settle on your teeth.2. Baking Soda!!!
Here is the real trick. Every morning and evening when you are brushing your teeth, use a little bit of bicarbonate baking soda with your toothpaste. The baking soda will held neutralize the pH in your mouth since it is basic (bye bye cavities). It helps fight stains, and it does NOT cause hyper-sensitivity.
With that being said, ask your dentist about tooth whitening if you are interested. Tooth whitening is generally proven to be safe and effective. To find out more about how tooth whitening works click here.
Here I was the the Key Center school bright and early on a Sunday! What a fabulous day I had, wonderful way to end the weekend :) MISSION: EXCELLENCE
Today I spent the day volunteering with KEEN greater DC at the Key Center in Springfield VA. KEEN is a national non-profit organization that is run by a committed volunteer corps. The philanthropy of KEEN is to serve disabled children ages 5-19 through a 1-1 mentoring fitness program.
I was incredibly humbled by my experience working with the wonderful children. The laughter, joy, and happiness that exudes from the kids is INCREDIBLE. Not only did I get to spend my time with two incredible kids, but I got my own work out in :) I will definitely be spending some more time here.
If you would like to get involved in commitment-free volunteering and service contact me, or contact KEEN
directly to find out what events are going on.
The event was held at the Key Center School located in Springfield VA. There are many opportunities for volunteering at the Key Center
, a school fully equipped for the disabled! Without great volunteers, none of this amazing work would be possible!!! I will also be spending some time at the school volunteering my time, join me if you can & I GUARANTEE you will have a fanstastic time :)Support Key Center How can you support Key Center?
Volunteers are always welcome here at Key Center. Contact us
regarding how you might help out.
- JOIN the PTA. Fill out the Membership form, print it and send it in!
- Fundraising! Our school budget often doesn't cover things like specialized equipment and technology for our students, so fundraising is an important way to supplement what we are able to offer our students. Here are some of our current fundraising efforts:
- Aluminum can pop tops - send in the pop tops and Key Center recycles them for money.
- Labels for Education! Clip and send in Campbell's soup labels. Each labels collected helps us earn points toward academic and/or athletic quipment.
- Box Tops for Education gives us several ways to earn for our school. You can clip and send in Boxtops for Education labels and the school receives 10 cents for each one submitted. Visit the BTE website to learn about other ways to earn for our school.
- Link your Giant A+ Rewards Card to Key Center. Our school code is 02071.
- Target - Take Charge of Education - Link your Target red card to Key Center and the school benefits each time you use it at Target.